iMovie is an innovative video editing software created by Apple Inc. Together with iPhoto, GarageBand and iDVD (discontinued), iMovie is another component of Apple's iLife suite of software applications for editing videos and making movies. iMovie for iOS is also available, with which you can even edit video on Apple's iOS products like iPhone, iPad and iPod. But the PC version of iMovie is unavailable. To make movies in Windows, you have to find an iMovie for PC alternative.
Nowadays, Apple's Mac and Microsoft's Windows is the main operating systems for personal users. Many people use both Mac and Windows PC computers - usually Windows at office, while Mac at home. Someone may also have transferred from Mac to Windows for its more and more optimized features. If you're previously a Mac user and familiar with iMovie, now want to edit videos on your Windows PC computer, you need an iMovie for PC video editing software.
There is so-called virtualization technology that enables you to run Mac and thus iMovie on Windows. The best virtualization software is Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion. But you have to pay for operating system and the software itself; it requires dual boot and runs the OS-in-OS slowly.
Why not simply get an iMovie but works in Windows? There are an array of video editing software applications for Windows PC. Like Movavi Video Editor, AVS Video Editor, Cyberlink PowerDirector, Corel VideoStudio, and so on.
Platforms: Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000
On one hand, some professional iMovie for PC alternative video editing programs has complex user interface, which makes it hard to master and use. On the other hand, some iMovie for Windows software applications only provide you with basic video editing tools. They are not the video editing software at the same level with iMovie.
Movavi Video Editor is the best iMovie for PC substitute in our opinions. It compromises simplicity and features. Regular users will easily edit video with common tools like Trim, Split, Merge, Rotate, Add Music, and so on; Professional users will control everything as they want. Movavi Video Editor lets you easily capture/digitize, create picture-in-picture movies, apply chroma-key effect, etc.
Movavi Video Editor makes it easier than ever to make stunning slideshows. Just import photos and videos, add music and stylish titles, customize transitions, and it's ready for sharing your masterpiece with the world.
Key Features of Movavi Video Editor for Windows
- An extremely intuitive interface to organize video, edit video and share video.
- Make your own slideshow as easy as A-B-C.
- Improve video quality and perspective with tons of special effects like Matrix, Particles, Denoise, Brightness/Contrast, Chroma Key, Split Screen, Zoom, etc.
- Easily add music, titles, voiceover and recordings.
- Choose from dozens of transitions between frames.
- Split, crop, join and rotate videos in clicks.
- Provides Storyboard and Timeline views.
- Add multiple video, audio and title tracks.
- Import and export 2D and 3D video in any format: SD, HD and DVD.
- Capture video from camera, camcorder (DV/HDV), and TV-tuner.
- Digitize your old VHS tape.
- Capture video with webcam and record online video.
- Import and edit 3D videos.
- Supports any sound card input a€“ microphone, computer, electric guitar, and more.??
- Supports all popular video and audio formats, including AVI, MP4, MKV, FLV, QuickTime, VOB, MP3, even video from DVD discs and more.
- Save a video file in the desired formats, for your mobile device, or burn movies on a DVD.
- Directly share video on YouTube, Facebook, or Vimeo.
Below is a comparison table for Apple's iMovie and the best iMovie for PC equivalent - Movavi Video Editor.
|Features||Movavi Video Editor||Apple iMovie|
|Supported Platform||Windows Only||Mac & iOS|
|Drag and Drop|
|Direct Camcorder Capture|
|Green Screen (Chroma Key)|
|Maximum Video Tracks||Unlimited||2|
|Maximum Audio Tracks||Unlimited||6|
|Saving Presets||QuickTime, Mobile Devices,
DVD, HD, MPEG-4
|QuickTime, Mobile Devices|
|Output Video Formats||3GP, 3GP2, AVI, FLV, M2TS,
MKV, MP4 with H.264 codec;
M2TS, MPEG with MPEG2 codec.
|Output Audio Formats||M4A, MP3, OGG, WAV, AIF||-|
|Input Video Formats||??AVI, MP4, FLV, MKV, MOV,
MPEG2-TS with H.264 codec;
MPEG with MPEG1/MPEG2
codec; WMV with VC-1 codec.
|Input Audio Formats||M4A, MP3, OGG, WAV, AIF||M4A, MP3|
|Price||$39.93 (Buy Now)||$15|
Movavi Video Editor is only one of iMovie for Windows alternatives in the long list. Depending on what you need and the price, BlazeVideo Video Editor, AVS Video Editor, Cyberlink PowerDirector, or Corel VideoStudio may also a good choice. All can be tried for free before you make a decision to buy.